Black Sambo + Impatience = Mambo

by - September 07, 2016

Chapter 1: The Story

After finally getting the coffee jelly dessert right (minus the presentation), I think it's about time I try another gelatin dessert - the Black Sambaaaa *minion's tone*. 

Chapter 2: The Ingredients

Choco Layer
  • 2 packs unflavored gelatin (Ferna recommended)
  • 1/2 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
  • 1 can evaporated milk (big)
  • 1 cup sugar (I used brown, and measurement may depend on taste preference)

Cream Layer
  • 1 can condensed milk (big)
  • 1 can cream (big)
  • 1 pack of unflavored gelatin

And an extra cup of patience. ;)

Chapter 3: Creating the Black Sambo

When I followed a certain recipe, the video and the written instructions didn't match. So here are some extra tips before you begin.

The cream layer solidifies faster than the choco layer so it could be a good idea to make the cream layer first, then add the choco layer on top. When serving, place it on a different plate upside down so the cream layer is on top.

OR

If you want to start with the choco layer, wait for it to solidify a little. Give it an hour before making the cream layer. That way, when you're done with the cream layer, you could just add it on top without it mixing with the choco layer.

Choco Layer
  1. Dissolve 2 packs of unflavored gelatin into 1/2 cup of cold water.
  2. Dilute the cocoa powder in a 1/2 cup of hot water.
  3. Heat evaporated milk in a saucepan.
  4. Add sugar to the evaporated milk. Stir until sugar dissolves.
  5. Add the melted cocoa, stir until well blended.
  6. Add the gelatin mixture and stir.
  7. Put the fire off, continue to stir until cool.
  8. Place on container ane let it cool.
Cream Layer
  1. Heat 1 cup of water in a saucepan and add 1 pack of gelatin powder. Stir until dissolved.
  2. Add condensed milk, stir until well blended.
  3. Add cream and continue stirring.
  4. Put the fire off and continue to stir until completely cool.
  5. Pour the cream layer on top of the choco layer.
  6. Refrigerate for 3-4 hours.
When I made this, I didn't know that it would took quite a while for the choco layer to solidify. I added a little impatience so I already poured the cream layer. This resulted to a marble sambo aka "MAMBO".

Chapter 4: Eating Time!!

Remember when I kept on saying I didn't have a molder? Haha.
And because of my impatience, some of the choco got mixed with the cream layer.

Black Sambo

BUT, it tastes just right! :)
I happily shared it with the rest of the family and friends and they complimented it.

Chapter 5: Lessons Learned

Patience is a virtue. ;)

Experimenting a little isn't too bad. (The recipe I followed said white sugar, I used brown. The recipe said to use Knox; I used Ferna.)

You May Also Like

0 comments