Thrombocytosis: Too Much Platelets!

by - July 28, 2016

Earlier this year, I was diagnosed with Essential Thrombocytosis ET (no, I'm not an alien). We had our annual physical exam and that's when I found out I have inordinate amount of platelets. Like WOW!

I underwent laboratory tests such as CBC (complete blood count) and bone marrow biopsy.

I searched online for possible causes of platelet count going higher than normal. Found out there were two kinds of thrombocytosis: essential (the one I have) and reactive.

Essential or primary thrombocytosis is a blood disease wherein the megakaryocytes overproduce platelets. I imagine mine working overtime making lots and lots of thrombocytes (platelets)!

Thrombocytosis
My megakaryocytes may look like potatoes, but hey! They are overachievers! Hooray!! (lol, nope!)

Reactive or secondary thrombocytosis is developed due to an underlying cause, such as iron deficiency, chronic inflammatory diseases and cancer.

Anyways, I didn't really experience any problems or symptoms. In fact, if not for our annual physical exam, I will not know at all!

The hematologist - someone who specializes on diseases of the blood - explained to me that though I may not feel that there's something wrong, having too much platelets would possibly cause sudden clogging of the nerves - which would be very critical.

I was prescribed two (2) capsules of hydroxyurea daily to lower the production of blood cells. A medicine that would make my "blood producers" lazy. (lol, yep!)
Asked what foods and activities I needed to avoid, the doctor said I could just eat and do anything as what I would normally do.

My platelet count did went down from 1M to 700k (normal range is 150k - 400k). The downside is that my red and white blood cells went down as well. So I had to take some multivitamins. I also get bruises here and there. The doctor said it was fine as long as the bruises just go away. I'm getting nauseous at times and I'm getting lazier than I normally am.

I stopped taking my meds but mom scolded me. (lol, haha)

I've read of a few online who has the same "disease" and we have the same uncertainties. Like, should I have to take this med for the rest of my life? Is the internet honest when it says that this is blood cancer? Yea, things like that.

But I know God has His plans and I know He won't give me something I cannot handle.

When I am afraid, I put my trust in You. (Psalm 56:3)
Do you know someone who has high platelet count, too?
Got anything to add?
Go on, encourage me. (lol kidding, but you may though haha)

Feel free to hit the comments section below.

God bless!☺

You May Also Like

3 comments

  1. Coffee coffee = new Coffee();
    if (coffee.Empty){
    coffee.Refill();
    }
    else {
    coffee.Drink();
    }

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Love coffee? Why not try to visit Coffee Madness? http://www.ayisharu.com/2015/05/coffee-madness.html

      Delete